Geologist is professional whose main work is to study liquid and solid matter that comprise the earth as well as the process and history that have helped form them. They usually study maps and examine the data collected to understand how the earth’s future is determined by the past processes.
The job of a geologist are: analyzing fossils in a laboratory and presenting reports on their findings ,sampling soils and water from the field the analyzing it.
Just like any other occupation geologists too have specializations in which one majors in one area. The areas that the geologist usually major are:
- Geochemist- there job usually entail the study of amount of chemical elements in rocks and minerals. They also study the movement of those elements in water systems and soils.
- Geophysicist- this entails the study of physical aspects of the earth. This is done using various ways like electric methods’, magnetic methods, gravity methods seismic methods.
- Geoscientist-there main work entails studying the earth systems. They are usually involved in the interpretation of geochemical, geophysical and geological data to develop sample models of the surface of the earth. Their main aim is to ascertain commercial viable and exploitable reserves of natural resources such as gas oil, minerals, and water. They are the ones that provide the foundation for the exploitation and production of natural resources. They provide specialist recommendation to engineering projects.
- Hydrologist-they mainly deal with the study of circulation flow and quality of water underground. They interpret technical data and information from historical papers and maps to show conceptual models of the underground. They also interpret maps geographical data, historical evidence and picture of the ground water regime. They use modeling technique to enable prediction of the future trends and impacts of flow and quality.
- Seismic interpreters-they usually work from survey field in which they send pulses of sound energy down through the layers of rock beneath the earth surface. The energy bounces back of which they record and send the data to the lab for analysis.
- Mud logger- they monitor and record drilling activity providing information about the position during the process of extraction. The things that they monitor are: drilling speed, mud flow rate, penetration rate, cutting rate and drilling speed
- Well site geologist-they majorly deal with the study and classification of rocks in a particular area. This helps them in knowing how drilling will be done through the whole process. They determine which test should be carried on which material. They also incorporate health and safety requirements in geological operations.
Geology is the study of the earth and the material it is composed of, including the material’s structure and how they undergo change. Geology also includes the study of organisms, which have inhabited the earth. A significant part of geology is studying the manner in which earth’s materials, processes, organisms and structures have undergone change over time Geologists seek an understanding of the earth’s history. This is important since learning earlier events helps determine how they may impact the future. The following are the ways in which geology helps understand things.
Earth material are very important to us. In fact, we cannot live without them. It is through geology that we can locate oil, metal, and other minerals. Water itself is referred to as life. Geology helps us to track water from the earth’s underground and streams. It helps us locate and identify what rocks contain minerals, make plans on the mines as well as how to extract them from the rocks.
Process of the Earth
Earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, floods, landslides and other processes pose huge dangers to humans. Through geology, people can understand them and know where they are most likely to happen in the future and avoid living or setting structures within such areas. It is through geology that humans can understand the past and the future with regard to earth processes and make safety and development decisions based on sound reasons.
History of the Earth
Climate change is a big concern for everyone today. Global warming, for instance, i=has become a big challenge. It is through the study of the earth’s history that we can understand the climate of the past, and the events that led to its changes overtime. This way we can understand what is expected of the future as well as what to do to create a better climate.
Geologists work in various settings like government agencies, natural resource companies, universities, non-profit organizations, among others. Geology is becoming a very important field and the employment chances in geology are very good. This is because the study of the earth is becoming a determinant of how people’s life will be in the future. Most geologists do field work while others spent time in the laboratory, offices and classes. Most geologists hold masters and doctorate degrees even though only a bachelor’s degree is needed for entry to employment.
As a pure science, geology is interesting. We all know that rocks are money, meaning that civilization rests on rocks. We need to understand the ground ton which our structures sit. It is only through understanding geological hazards that we can be protected from them. We rely on food and fiber coming from the soil, an incredibly complex thin biogeochemical layer. We rely upon a good supply of the products of the earth.