Geologist is professional whose main work is to study liquid and solid matter that comprise the earth as well as the process and history that have helped form them. They usually study maps and examine the data collected to understand how the earth’s future is determined by the past processes.
The job of a geologist are: analyzing fossils in a laboratory and presenting reports on their findings ,sampling soils and water from the field the analyzing it.
Just like any other occupation geologists too have specializations in which one majors in one area. The areas that the geologist usually major are:
- Geochemist- there job usually entail the study of amount of chemical elements in rocks and minerals. They also study the movement of those elements in water systems and soils.
- Geophysicist- this entails the study of physical aspects of the earth. This is done using various ways like electric methods’, magnetic methods, gravity methods seismic methods.
- Geoscientist-there main work entails studying the earth systems. They are usually involved in the interpretation of geochemical, geophysical and geological data to develop sample models of the surface of the earth. Their main aim is to ascertain commercial viable and exploitable reserves of natural resources such as gas oil, minerals, and water. They are the ones that provide the foundation for the exploitation and production of natural resources. They provide specialist recommendation to engineering projects.
- Hydrologist-they mainly deal with the study of circulation flow and quality of water underground. They interpret technical data and information from historical papers and maps to show conceptual models of the underground. They also interpret maps geographical data, historical evidence and picture of the ground water regime. They use modeling technique to enable prediction of the future trends and impacts of flow and quality.
- Seismic interpreters-they usually work from survey field in which they send pulses of sound energy down through the layers of rock beneath the earth surface. The energy bounces back of which they record and send the data to the lab for analysis.
- Mud logger- they monitor and record drilling activity providing information about the position during the process of extraction. The things that they monitor are: drilling speed, mud flow rate, penetration rate, cutting rate and drilling speed
- Well site geologist-they majorly deal with the study and classification of rocks in a particular area. This helps them in knowing how drilling will be done through the whole process. They determine which test should be carried on which material. They also incorporate health and safety requirements in geological operations.